Patchwork Stool Project Complete

Following on from making patchwork after some deliberation I decided to keep the legs on the stool a natural wood colour.

Just to remind you, this is what they looked like before:

IMG_4121b

As they were a bit battered and scuffed I sanded them back using my favourite mouse sander.

IMG-20141009-WA0000b

Once completely sanded I decided to use some all in one wood finish I already had in my shed.

20140721_185539b

I used an old cloth to rub stain in, sanding lightly between coats to ensure any grain raised by the stain was smooth (don’t want to be snagging your tights!).

20140721_190444b

Whilst the stain was drying I decided to finish the top of the stool. Firstly I got the original top and wrapped in in some fresh wadding to ensure it was comfy. To fasten this I used my new toy a big stapler.

IMG_4126b

I stapled one side, pulled tight, and then did the opposite side and repeated. Once the side were done I stapled each corner and then trimmed away the excess wadding.

IMG_4128b

I then laid the waded stool top onto the patchwork piece and ensured it was in the right place, then as with the wadding I put one staple in each side and then pulled it tight and stapled opposite side until they were all secure (this is far easier with a second pair of hands). Then it was on to the corners which again were pulled tight and stapled.

IMG_4129b

IMG_4130b

I then trimmed all the excess fabric to make the stool top ready for the legs.

IMG_4131b

IMG_4133b

This was the easy bit just lined up the existing holes and re attached using some new-non rusty screws and the project is complete.

IMG-20141009-WA0003b

Doesn’t look to shabby – so I decided to do the other stool I purchased at the same time, this one is in yellows and greys with white painted legs:

shabby chic stool

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *